Arriving in January
After 10,000 operational hours on a large mapping project, we've redesigned our popular SimpleSCAN and are happy to introduce the all new SimpleSCAN 38i, a small-size USV designed with the optimal blend of portability and capability. At only 38 inches long, it is easily one-man portable. However, despite its small size, it features a 10+hour endurance at 1.2 m/s and can perform professional cm-level bathymetry using the included dual band Emlid Reach M2 and your choice of echosounder.
Based on customer feedback and our own experience, the SS38i has the following features:
- Vegetation? No problem. The SS38 includes both water (traditional boat propeller) and air pods (Air boat) which swap out onsite in seconds; allowing the boat to effortlessly cruise through most vegetation and debris infested waters as well as ultra-shallow areas. Testing video here: https://youtu.be/QOrOOOhQLS8
- Batteries are swappable and maintenance is easily performed through the top hatch.
- Integrated Teltonika LTE router provides cloud connectivity - bring your own SIM (Simbase is 0.01/mb and 0.01/day) and enjoy unlimited range, including telemetry/control, NTRIP corrections and remote desktop access.
- Removable Echosounder - the SS38i seachest assembly drops down and out with (4) bolts into threaded inserts, feel free to remove the echosounder for use on your manned boat.
- Ultra-Endurance: The SS38i uses a water-resistant battery which provides 10-15 hours of endurance with the water pod and about 5 with the air pod. If you're travelling on the airlines, no problem, we have a NiMH option which works as well.
- Excellent sealing: High quality hatch, threaded inserts and everything molded in (no cutting/drilling during assembly) means a boat which can handle rougher conditions than the original SS30i despite being only slightly larger.
- For a 38-inch boat, it has a huge amount of internal volume making working inside the hull easy
- High Quality Motor and Steering Assemblies. Test motors have 2000+hrs and counting in real world conditions. Machined aluminum and stainless steering hardware.
As always, all of our boats include a full GPS autopilot, a dual band L1/L2 RTK/PPK GNSS (Emlid Reach M2) and an integrated Windows 10 Pro running PC (with 500GB SSD). Communication is via cellular and/or a bridged LAN (for remote desktop and autopilot control). Also included are all the things you would expect such as batteries, charger, and R/C controller. The internal smart battery features integrated charging, balancing and low voltage cutoff – keeping the battery in top condition for years and charges in around 2.5 hours.
To recap, the SimpleSCAN 38i Includes...
- Full GPS Autopilot, Handheld R/C Controller, Battery, Charger
- Long Range 5.8ghz/2.4ghz LAN Telemetry
- LTE Connectivity for Telemetry as well as remote desktop
- Stanard Water Based Propulsion
- Air Boat above-the-water based propulsion
- Teltonika based LTE cellular connectivity
- Onboard Integrated PC with 500GB Storage, Remote Desktop Access over telemetry or cellular
- Integrated Emlid Reach M2 Dual Band L1/L2 RTK GNSS with Lora or NTRIP
- Length: 979mm/38.5p”
- Width: 471mm/18.5”
- Height: 237mm/9.3"
- Weight: 25lbs
- Endurance: 10 hours
- Battery: 45ah 14.8v
- Included Charger: 25a AC Charger
- Propulsion: Brushless Motor Pod
- Construction: Rotomolded Polyethylene
- Telem Frequency: 5.8ghz
- R/C Frequency: 2.4ghz
- Radio Link Range: 1-3km (LOS)
Detailed Operation/Planning Video...
Unabara Z Axis 2F
Recommended Sensors & Payload Options:
- Airmar Echorange+ 200khz Single Beam
- Unabara Z Axis 2F Dual Frequency Single Beam
- Echologger EU400 450khz Single Beam
- Echologger EUD32 30/200khz Dual Frequency Single Beam
- Echologger EUD710 710/1000khz Dual Frequency Single Beam
- Hydromagic (2PC License) (Runs Onboard & office/shore PC)
Why the SimpleSCAN?
Best in Class Service
Our goal is your success. We offer US based support - each boat comes with initial online/phone familiarity training where we help make sure everything is setup properly after arrival of your boat and go over the basics, as well as online/phone help on your first project including good practices, mission planning and data processing. Email and scheduled phone support is available after that.
Small in Size, not Capability
The SimpleSCAN 38i may only be 38 inches long; but it packs a serious punch. With integrated Dual Band RTK/PPK GNSS, Onboard LTE, support for a range of professional grade echosounders and a capable onboard PC which runs Hydromagic, Hypack and others - we've packed the capability typically found in a manned survey boat down to something which can be thrown in the trunk of a car or taken on aircraft to remote sites.
Rugged, Reliable Construction
With 250,000 acres surveyed personally, years of oil field jobsite experience, a great deal of effort has gone into building a solid system that will get your job done again and again - and one which we use ourselves. From the rugged chemical resistant polyethylene construction to the rugged aluminum motor pods, to the battery with integrated BMS and LVC - this system is built for your job site.
All of our boats include an autopilot with GPS navigation and live telemetry as standard equipment. We believe this is standard equipment in a USV, the autopilot greatly reduces the monotony of creating straight transects and running large areas.
This video shows the older SimpleSCAN 30i USV operating a repeating mission automatically - turning at a buoy each pass to showcase the repeatability and accuracy of the autopilot.
Integrated Windows 10 PC
Each boat includes a Windows 10 running PC which serves as a data collector. Most of our clients run Hydromagic. This integrated PC can be accessed over the wireless data link using Remote Desktop or over the LTE connection.
Bridged LAN Telemetry System
Each SimpleSCAN 38i includes a long range bridged LAN data link. Operators are able to connect on shore via ethernet or wifi and have a TCP/IP link to all the equipment onboard the boat. Connecting via Remote Desktop, uploading new missions, and drag/drop copying your survey data from the boat to your shore laptop or office PC is fast and easy.
LTE Cloud Connectivity
Our boats include an integrated industrial grade LTE system with externally mounted diversity antennas, providing robust connection. This permits secure, remote access to the system for telemetry, remote desktop, RTCM (NTRIP) corrections and remotely downloading collected data. We recommend Simbase which offers a plan at $0.01 per MB and $0.02 per day for service on ATT, T-Mobile and Verizon towers, a very robust package excellent for occasional use. But of course, you are free to use your own service - for larger data amounts, Verizon has a $45/mo plan with 60GB and generally is well suited for heavy use.
The SimpleSCAN includes an internal 14.8v 45ah battery, giving it 10-15 hours of run time. This battery is designed for reliability, is IP45 complainant and features an integrated BMS and LVC.
The SimpleSCAN has two field swappable propulsion options: The ultra-efficient water based propulsion and the vegetation proof air propulsion.